Running Bunn has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Friday 18 May 2012

Race Prep

So, tomorrow is the big day. After months of training and anticipation I'm finally going to be doing a 10k race! This past week I've been doing a few things to get me ready physically and, tonight, I'll be starting the mental preparation. So, here's how to prepare for race day.

Hydrate - This doesn't just mean drinking lots the day of the race. I have spent all week making sure I get a couple of litres of water every day. I'm not going to be drinking much on race day because I have a slight phobia of port-a-loos so it's extra specially important to get ready now.

Eat - Obviously carb loading isn't hugely important for a mere 10k but eating right this week is. I've been keeping with my regular routine of porridge in the morning, a light lunch  and a good square meal in the evening. Lots of fresh fruit and veg with brown rice and wholewheat pasta will give me all the energy I need.


Exercise - this aspect needs to strike a fine balance. Too little exercise and you'll not be feeling tip-top for the big day, too much and you'll be knackered. This week I've stuck with yoga or a light core workout every day and a short run on Wednesday.


Kit - I'll be getting all my kit together today and laid out ready for tomorrow morning. Always stick to worn-in kit to avoid unexpected mis-haps. Trainers, socks, shorts, t-shirt, cap, water, watch. I don't want to listen to music on my way round, Race For Life events tend to be full of atmosphere and I don't want to miss that!


Plan - I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to be able to run the whole way round. Persistent leg injuries have scuppered my training somewhat. My plan is to run the first 5k, walk the next 2k and run the last 3k. That way I should finish in under an hour. If I can run further, I will, but I won't be too disappointed.


So, that's it, I'm ready. I'm also very, very nervous! Wish me luck... x

No comments:

Post a Comment