Running Bunn has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

The Great Sports Bra Robbery

Every woman knows if you're going to exercise you need a good sports bra. Whether you have the lion's share in the chest department or you're pretty much flat chested, it's really important to have a sports bra that supports your delicate breast tissue.

There are so many to choose from, all with their own pros and cons but one big con they all have in common is the price.

Take, for example, the Shock Absorber Run Bra - widely acknowledged as the best support bra for high impact sports like running. At around £37 you'd want it to be! I mean, that's a lot of money for something you can't exercise without.

It's the same whatever brand you go for - Nike, Playtex, Berlei - all tend to come in at £25 - £40. You can save a bit by going for a 'bra top' style, but that doesn't work for my 34Es which need a bit more discipline than a stretchy lycra crop-top can offer. You'll also find that sometimes the price goes up as the cup size does within each style of bra, which seems a little unfair!

There are much more important things to spend £40 on than a sports bra - like school shoes - which has made me feel like buying a new sports bra is simply a luxury I can't afford. It shouldn't feel like a luxury product, it's an essential piece of kit! My only sports bra is 5 years old and pretty much useless now. I've been putting off getting a new one for ages, having to cope with sore boobs and shoulders every time I work out, even resorting to wearing it over a normal bra to try and get more support out of it. [I have bought a new one now, but only because my husband made me]

I'm not suggesting we do away with sports bra's and start strapping ourselves in with gaffer tape (actually, would that work?!) but, with all the pressure on women to get active shouldn't the big sportswear and underwear brands be making changes? I think they should be making it easier for us to get out there and get active, not harder.

4 comments:

  1. You can get the shock absorber bra for about £18 on eBay if you look! I was going to do a sort of half review, half loook cheap bras post later this week!

    I think there's so much research and technology goes into a good sports bra they end up super pricey to cover it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd thought of eBay before buying one from Debenhams! I agree that a lot goes into designing a good sports bra, I think I might have just been in a bit of a cheap mood when I wrote this what with Christmas coming up...

      Can't wait to read your bra post when it's up, I need a couple now I'm training every day!

      Delete
    2. Haven't got around to the bra post yet, but I was in Debenhams today and they have a sale on and the Shock Absorbers are reduced to £22 :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. There are other products that deliver the same kind of performance t a lower price. All you need is to do a thorough research on the net. There are lots of shopping sites that can provide the product you need. It's about time and money management. :)

    Regards,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete